An engraved label awarded to Simon Newport on December 18, 1765 “Answering remarkably well.” Signed by the Head Master, Andrew Buck. Text within a decorative cartouche, with Hibernia awarding laurels to a pupil, with a ship and castle in the background.
The Hibernian Academy had its premises at 8 North King Street, Dublin. The celebrated Samuel Whyte was solicited in 1759 to accept the Professorship of the English Language at this academy, founded in that year on the plan laid down by Thomas Sheridan (whose wife Frances Chamberlaine was a first cousin of Samuel). Whyte conceiving, however, that the latter had not been honourably treated by the managers of the new institution, declined the proffered chair, and applied himself assiduously to the business of his own establishment in Grafton Street, which advanced so rapidly in reputation that before it had been many years founded he was enabled to reckon among his pupils the sons and daughters of the principal families in Ireland. In the 1760s the Hibernian Academy was under the tutelage of Rev. Andrew Buck (Fellow of TCD 1781-7 and Rector of Desertereat and Clonoe).