Pointing at most of the Authors and Records in Print or Manuscript, which may be serviceable to the Compilers of a General History of Ireland. By William, Lord Bishop of Derry. Dublin: Printed by Aaron Rhames, for R. Owen, Bookseller, in Skinner-Row, 1724. First edition. pp. xxxviii, , 246, [10 (index)]. Contemporary full worn panelled calf, spine rebacked. Armorial bookplate of Margaret Dunne of Dunsoghly Castle on front pastedown, with her signature on titlepage, dated 1762, also with the signature of Henry Plunkett, an uncle of Margaret. On front free endpaper are the initials and ‘Bequest’ label of Right Rev. Monsignor Gargan, President of Maynooth College, who died 26th August, 1903, with annotations in pencil possibly by him. Label of Darcy, Bookseller and Bookbinder on front pastedown. In good condition.
William Nicholson (1655-1727), Archbishop of Cashel was a native of Cumberland. He was translated to the lucrative bishopric of Derry in 1718 and eight years later to the archbishopric of Cashel. His great work was entitled ‘Historical Libraries’ of England, Scotland and Ireland. This is the first edition of the ‘Irish Historical Library’ published in Dublin in 1724, containing a valuable list of authors and records in print and manuscript relating to the history of Ireland. Walter Harris in his edition of Ware says: “he fell into many errors in this work, for want of sufficient acquaintance with the Irish manuscripts and language. But notwithstanding that, much thanks are due to him for the extraordinary pains he took to inform himself about the materials which may be had for improving Irish history”.
The bookplate contains the arms for Margaret Plunkett Dunne, (the daughter and co-heiress of Nicholas Plunkett), who married Francis Dunne of Brittas, on August 10th, 1760. Note the Arms depict the Dunne Eagle with the Plunkett Arms of Dunsoghly Castle, overlaid on the Eagle’s chest. The castle was built around 1450 by Sir Rowland Plunkett other sources say it was built by Sir Thomas Plunkett), Chief Justice of the King’s Bench, and was continuously occupied until the 1870s by descendants of the same family. It passed into the Dunnes following the death of Nicholas Plunkett, and was featured in the 1995 movie “Braveheart”.
Provenance: From the library of the late Patrick King.