[Lochrann na gCreidmheach], seu Fasciculus Deceptus ab Authoribus Magis Versatus, qui Tractarunt de Doctrina Christiana. Rome: Typis Sacrae Congreg. de Propaganda Fide, 1676. pp. [iv], 391, viii. Bound in nineteenth century contemporary full straight-grained red morocco by Thompson & Wall with their ticket (diamond engraved label: Thompson & Wall / Bookbinders / 1 St. Andrew St. / Dublin) on front pastedown. Covers blocked in gilt to a panelled design with inner fleurons. Spine divided into six compartments by five raised bands; title in gilt direct in the second; the remainder ruled in gilt with a gilt motif in centre; board edges and turn-ins gilt; comb-marbled endpapers; green and red endbands; two maroon silk markers. Ex libris William O’Brien Milltown Park Trust, with bookplates and stamps. Titlepage strengthened. A very good copy A rare example from this relatively unknown Dublin Bindery.
Wing O 291C Sweeney 3279. Not in Ramsden.
Francis O’Molloy acknowledging the sorry state of learning and religion in Ireland: “which proscribed the public and even the private use of the Irish language in order that, when the latter had been consigned to eternal oblivion, no knowledge might survive of native antiquities, of the Lives of our Saints, of our Faith, of our ecclesiastical traditions,” counteracted this by publishing Lochrann na gCreidmheach, better known by its Latin title Lucerna Fidelium.
It is a catechism of the doctrines of the Irish Church printed in the Irish character at the press of the Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith in Rome, with a new Irish type specially cut there for this work. The book has two title pages, one in Latin and the other in Irish. It was distributed in the Irish and Scottish missions, and to Irish soldiers in Continental armies for their spiritual welfare.
Happily for the bibliophile, uncut sheets in fine condition, of this work were discovered in the loft of the Irish College at Rome. These in turn were offered in a single lot (278 copies) at the sale of the library of J.P. Lyons, Dean of Killala, in 1845. They were purchased by George Smith of Hodges and Smith, who had them bound up and afterwards sold them for ten shillings each.