BARLOW, S. The History of Ireland, from the Earliest Period to the Present Time; Embracing also a statistical and geographical account of that Kingdom; forming together a complete view of its past and present state, under its political, civil, literary and commercial relations. Two volumes. London: Printed for Sherwood, Neely and Jones, Paternoster-Row; John Cumming, and M. Keene, Dublin; and sold by all book-sellers in the United Kingdom. Law and Gilbert, printers, St. John’s-Square, Clerkenwell. 1814, 1814. pp. (1) xvi, 476, (2) xii, 524. Contemporary half calf over marbled boards, spines divided into five compartments by four wide gilt raised bands, with double red morocco letterpieces. Armorial bookplates of Sir Joseph Radcliffe on front pastedowns, also with ticket of Sheardown Binders, Doncaster. The finest and most attractive set that has come our way.
The Radcliffe Baronetcy, of Milnsbridge House in the County of York, is a title in the Baronetage of the United Kingdom, created in 1813 for Joseph Radcliffe as a reward for his public services. The Radcliffes were an ancient Lancashire family and took their name from the village of Radcliffe in that county. William Radcliffe married the heiress of the Milnsbridge House estate, Milnsbridge, near Huddersfield and in 1724 bought the Marsden Moor estate. His son died issueless in 1795 and the estates fell to his nephew, son of his sister Mary, Joseph Pickford who thereupon assumed the surname of Radcliffe in lieu of his patronymic and who was in 1813 created a baronet.
The first Baronet married firstly the heiress of Royton Hall, Royton, Lancashire. Following his death in 1819 the Milnsbridge estate was sold and in 1824 the second Baronet purchased an estate near Harrogate, North Yorkshire and completed the construction of Rudding Park House. The second Baronet served as High Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1857.
Everard Radcliffe, a cricketer who captained Yorkshire, was the 5th Baronet.
Illustrated with folding map (a little foxed), portraits of Henry Grattan and The Earl Charlemont, two extra engraved titlepages, and a folding view of the Four Courts, Dublin.