O’BRIEN, Eoin. Ed. by. The Charitable Infirmary, Jervis Street. A Farewell Tribute (LIMITED TO 160 COPIES ONLY)
€450.00
1 in stock
Illustrated. With list of subscribers. Dublin: Anniversary Press, 1987. pp. xxiii, 279. Contemporary full black morocco with the Charitable Infirmary on Inns Quays, blind stamped on upper cover. Edition limited to 160 numbered copies, signed by Dr. O’Brien. Limitation on replica bookplate of one of the founding fathers of the hospital, Francis Duany on front endpaper. Top edge gilt. A fine copy. Rare.
The hospital was founded by six Dublin surgeons, George Duany, Patrick Kelly, Nathaniel Handson, John Dowdall, Francis Donany and Peter Brenan, at their own expense, as the Charitable Infirmary in Cook Street, Dublin, in 1718. The hospital moved to larger premises on King’s Inn’s Quay in 1728. In 1786, when the new Four Courts were about to be erected on the quays, an agreement was reached with the Earl of Charlemont to allow the hospital to move into his former mansion at 14 Jervis Street, which happened in October 1796. Some time afterwards alterations were made in the house to convert it for hospital purposes. The hospital occupied a central place in the most populous part of the city, being close to the markets, railway termini, goods stores and shipping.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
















Reviews
There are no reviews yet.