FITZGERALD, Rev. P. & M’GREGOR, J.J. The History, Topography, and Antiquities, of the County and City of Limerick; with a Preliminary View of the History and Antiquities of Ireland. With a large fold. map of the County surveyed by James Coffey in 1825, engraved plates and folding tables. (LIMERICK HISTORIAN’S COPY)


1 in stock

Two volumes. Dublin: Printed for George M’Kern, Limerick ... Also by Baldwin, Craddock, and Joy, London, 1826. Large post octavo. First edition. pp. (1) vi, 424, (2) x, 623, lxvi, xix (appendix & index), 2 (addenda and errata). Recent half brown morocco on marbled boards. Signature of the Limerick historian, M. Lenihan, Esq. on front endpaper. All edges red. A very good set. Rare with Limerick map.
COPAC locates 10 sets only.
The following notice of this Limerick author, Rev. P. Fitzgerald, appeared in MS. in a copy of the History of Limerick which he wrote in conjunction with J. J. McGregor, its writer being as there stated, Caleb Powell of Clanshavoy, Limerick: “Patrick Fitzgerald, the ostensible compiler of this history, which was really arranged by McGregor, a Waterford bookseller of some literary merit, was the son of a tailor in Bruff, County Limerick, and was first employed at the school of Mr. Buckley in that town. Evincing an aptitude for learning, he was gratuitously instructed in that seminary. He subsequently accompining accompanying young gentlemen of the name of Bennett of that neighbourhood to Dublin to read with them their college course. These young men had been educated at Mr. Buckley’s, and their mother, considering Patrick Fitzgerald a sober, steady youth, furnished funds for his maintenance, and he read and obtained a Sizarship in Trinity College, Dublin, having abandoned the Roman Catholic religion, in which he had been brought up. He afterwards became private tutor to Mr. Crips and others, got ordained, and married a Miss Stewart of the County Galway, who had respectable connections. The Rev. P. Fitzgerald had an extraordinary aptitude for genealogical traditions, and had accounts more or less accurate of many Limerick families”. The titlepage of the above-named History of Limerick shows that he was at that time Vicar of Cahircorney in the Diocese of Emly.
There is a multi-folding map of County Limerick, multi-folding plan of the City, engraved views of Askeaton, Harbour of Limerick, Dominican Chapel, Lunatic Asylum, Saint Mary’s Cathedral, County Court House, County Goal, Wellesley Bridge and Mr. Roche’s Garde.


There are no reviews yet.

Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.

Book an Appointment

You are welcome to visit and meet us in person to browse our extensive libraries of antiquarian books, maps, and other items relating to Ireland.

De Burca Rare Books


De Búrca Rare Books,
27 Priory Drive, Blackrock,
Co. Dublin,
A94 V406,

T. +353 (0) 1 288 2159
F. +353 (0) 1 283 4080
M. +353 (0) 87 259 5918

Office Hours

Monday to Friday
9:00am to 5:30pm

10:00am to 1:00pm.

An appointment is preferred.


Welcome to De Búrca Rare Books


Stay Updated & Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive news from the Irish antiquarian book world and get updates on our latest catalogues and publications.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

No products in the cart