GLEESON, Rev. John.
A History of the Ancient Capital of Munster from the date of its foundation until the present day. Including historical notices of the Kings of Cashel from the 4th century to the 12th century. The succession of bishops and archbishops from St. Ailbe to the present day. Notices of the principal abbeys belonging to the territory around Cashel, together with items of local history down to the 19th century. Illustrated. Dublin: De Búrca, 2001. pp. [ii], xix, 312. Illustrated dust jacket.
An important and scholarly work on one of the most celebrated places of historic interest in Ireland. In medieval times it was the ecclesiastical capital of Munster. Conquered by the Eoghanacht tribe (MacCarthys) led by Conall Corc in the fifth century who set up a fortress on St. Patrick’s Rock. They ruled over the fertile plains of Munster unchallenged and their title King of Cashel remained synonymous with that of King of Munster. In law and tradition the kings of Cashel knew no superior and did not acknowledge the overlordship of Tara for five hundred years.
Fr. John Gleeson (1855-1927), historian, was born near Nenagh, County Tipperary into a wealthy farming family. Educated locally and at Maynooth. Appointed curate of Lorrha and Templederry, later parish priest of Lorrha and Knock in 1893 and Lorrha in 1908. A prolific writer and meticulous researcher, he also wrote History of the Ely O’Carroll Territory or Ancient Ormond.
Published by De Burca Rare Books.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.