Ó MONGÁIN, S. McDONNELL, Nell. & OTHERS. Shraigh 1888-1988. With illustrations and maps.
€125.00
1 in stock
Ballina: Western People, 1988. Octavo. pp. 168. Pictorial stiff wrappers. A fine copy. Rare.
By 1887 permission had been granted for the new school at Shraigh. Monsignor Hewson, P.P., acquired the site from Seán O Ciaragáin, grandfather of Larry Kerrigan. The foundation stone was laid and construction commenced in 1887. The builder was an Attycunnane man by the name of Peter Monaghan. Dick Barrett of Shraigh Hill, grandfather of Michael Barrett, the postman, cut and prepared the stones for the building. Michael Coyle of Glengad was the mason and Jack McDermott of Castlebar did the carpentry. The stones for the building were taken from the quarry in Shraigh Hill and were drawn by horse and cart to the site. Two of the local carters at that time were Seán O Ciaragáin (grandfather of Larry Kerrigan), and Billy Kerrigan (grandfather of Willie Kerrigan), of Baile na Páirce. It is highly probably that they were employed to cart the stones for the school building. It is believed that the rest of the building materials, as well as the Bangor Blue slates for roofing, were supplied from Westport. By Summer of 1888 a one-roomed school, having one chimney on the North side and a small porch facing the road, was completed. The school furniture consisted of a rostrum on which stood the master’s desk and press. Long benches containing ink wells served as seating for the children. There were also two forms, which were a permanent fixture by the West wall. These were sometimes used as temporary seating for those who misbehaved.
[Cat 160]















