RUTLAND FOUNTAIN The Rutland Fountain Merrion Square, Dublin. Engraved in aquatint. By Joseph C. Stadler
1 in stock
[RUTLAND FOUNTAIN] The Rutland Fountain Merrion Square, Dublin. Engraved in aquatint. By Joseph C. Stadler (Fl. 1780-1815) after John James Barrollet. With dedication to Her Grace Mary Isabella, Duchess of Rutland. 41 x 49.5cms. Old repairs. Framed and glazed. An attractive item.
(National Gallery NGI 11643 purch. 1909).
The Rutland Fountain stands on the west side of Merrion Square facing the National Gallery built in 1791-1792 from plans designed by the architect Francis Sandys. The principal sculpture has been missing for many years.
The fountain built for the use of the poor of the city of Dublin, was erected to commemorate a former Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, Charles Manners (1754-1787), 4th Duke of Rutland. As MP for Cambridge University (1774-1779), he vehemently opposed the taxation of America. He was appointed the Viceroy or Lord Lieutenant of Ireland in 1784, before he had reached the age of thirty and was one of the best to have held that high office.
[TVR Behind sofa.]
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.