PEARSE BROTHERS: Pearse Memorial. An Appeal to the Irish Race. Flyer. Four pages octavo, folded.
1 in stock
Illustration of Padraic H. Pearse on first page. In Irish and English. Edges frayed, else in good condition. Very rare.
The purpose of the appeal was to secure a worthy memorial to the Brothers Pearse. The Hermitage, Rathfarnham, the scene of the labours of their last years, was in the hands of Mrs. Pearse. Since September, 1916, the work of St. Enda’s has been carried on in its first home, Cullenswood House, Rathmines. Since March, 1917, the St. Enda’s Purchase Committee, under the patronage of George Noble Count Plunkett, has been working to raise the funds required to transfer Sgoil Eanna again to the healthiest, most beautiful, and most romantic spot in South County Dublin - The Hermitage. The Committee included: Mrs. Pearse, George Noble Count Plunkett and Cu Ulaidh (Peadar Toner Mac Fhionnlaoich) - National Trustees; Alfred McLoughlin, Rev. Dr. Browne and Mrs. E. Ceannt (whose name in stamped after publication) - Treasurers; Ailís Bean (Labhrais) Mhic Fhionnghaill and Feargus de Búrca - Hon. Secretaries. The rest of the committee included Mrs. Sheehy-Skeffington, Mrs. E. Ceannt, Arthur Griffith, Eoin MacNeill, Joe McGuinness, W. Cosgrave, Austin Stack, Finian Lynch, etc. This Committee worked in co-operation with the Save St. Enda’s Committee in America, but trusted that the generosity of the Irish people at home would be the largest factor in saving St. Enda’s for the Irish Nation. Their aim was to secure enough funds to purchase the title deeds of the Hermitage, to furnish it as a suitable home for two hundred boys, and to provide all necessary equipment for a first class National College.
[L4BC2 Drawer 2]
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.