KNOX, Hubert Thomas. The History of the County of Mayo to the Close of the Sixteenth Century. With illustrations and three maps. KNOX FAMILY COPY
€475.00
1 in stock
Dublin: Hodges, Figgis, 1908. First edition. Royal octavo. pp. xvi, 451. Brown buckram with original spine laid. A fine copy. Very scarce.
Prime historical reference work on the history of the County Mayo from the earliest times to 1600. It deals at length with the De Burgo Lordship of Connaught. Illustrated with a large folding detailed map of the county, coloured in outline. There are 49 pages of genealogies of the leading families of Mayo: O'Connor, MacDonnell Galloglass, Bourke MacWilliam Iochtar, Gibbons, Jennings, Philbin, Barret, Joyce, Jordan, Costello, etc.
Creagh House was originally built in 1875 by Colonel Charles Howe Cuff Knox, one of a family of landlords in Co. Mayo. At one time the family owned 24,374 acres across the county. A stained glass window in memory of Colonel Knox can be found in the local library in Ballinrobe town (formally St Mary's Church of Ireland church).
Provenance: From the library of Henry Howe Cuff Knox, Creagh, Ballinrobe, County Mayo, and Roseville House, Roseville Street, St Helier, was Deputy Lieutenant of County Mayo.
[L1 8B]















