STUDDERT, Robert Hallam. The Studdert Family, Notes and Records [PRINTED FOR PRIVATE CIRCULATION ONLY]

475.00

Sold Out

Compiled by Robert Hallam Studdert, Major-General (Retired). Dublin: At The Sign of the Three Candles 1960. pp. xi, [1], 190, [2]. Printed for Private Circulation only. 250 x 176. Maroon cloth, arms of the Studdert family in gilt on upper cover, title in gilt on spine. A fine copy in near fine dust jacket. An exceptionally rare Three Candles item.

COPAC located the TCD, BL and Society of Genealogists copies only. Not in De Búrca. The Reverend George Studdert, rector of Kilpeacon and Rathkeale, County Limerick, was the son of
George Studdert who was granted lands in counties Limerick and Kerry in the 17th century. The Reverend George married Millicent daughter of George Rose of Morgans and Mount Prospect, County Limerick and their sons were the ancestors of the various families of Studderts of counties Clare and Limerick. From Thomas their eldest son descend the Studderts of Bunratty. Henry 8th and last Earl of Thomond sold Bunratty castle, county Clare and 472 acres to Thomas Amory in 1712 for £225 and an annual rent of £120. Amory sold the Castle to Thomas Studdert who took up residence circa 1720. The Studderts later built a house in the grounds of the demesne and castle was abandoned. The castle ruin was purchased by the 7th Viscount Gort in 1956. He restored it with assistance from state agencies and opened it to the public in 1960. In 1778 Thomas Studdert of Bunratty married Anne Fitzgerald of Shepperton and had six sons and three daughters. His fourth son Charles Fitzgerald Studdert resided at Newmarket House, Newmarket-on Fergus. Charles F. Studdert was married to Maria Wogan, a niece of Thomas Steele. She inherited Cullane House, Kilkishen, from her uncle, which became the home of their eldest son Robert Wogan Studdert. At the time of Griffith‟s Valuation R.W. Studdert held 5 townlands from the Bishop of Limerick in the parish of Mungret, barony of Pubblebrien, County Limerick. In the 1870s Robert Wogan Studdert of Cullane owned 386 acres in county Clare and 218 acres in County Limerick. Richard Studdert of Bunratty owned over 400 acres in county Clare in the 1870s. Thomas Studdert of Bunratty owned over 600 acres in County Kerry in the 1870s, mostly in the parish of Kilfeighny, barony of Clanmaurice. This land was owned by Joseph and Maurice Studdart at the time of Griffith‟s Valuation. The rental of this land was offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in July 1865. The sale notice indicates it was on lease from the Palmer estate. Lewis mentions a property called Braeside Cottage, the seat of Hugh Studdart, in 1837. Five generations of Studderts lived at Clonderalaw, parish of Kilmurry, barony of Clonderalaw, County Clare, between the mid 18th century and the mid 20th century. Richard Studdert, third son of the Reverend George Studdert (1699- 1778) of Ardlaman, County Limerick, was the founder of this branch of the Studdert family.

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.

Book an Appointment

You are welcome to visit and meet us in person to browse our extensive libraries of antiquarian books, maps, and other items relating to Ireland.

De Burca Rare Books

Address

De Búrca Rare Books,
‘Cloonagashel’,
27 Priory Drive, Blackrock,
Co. Dublin,
A94 V406,
Ireland

T. +353 (0) 1 288 2159
F. +353 (0) 1 283 4080
M. +353 (0) 87 259 5918
E. deburcararebooks@gmail.com
W. deburcararebooks.com

Office Hours

Monday to Friday
9:00am to 5:30pm

Saturday
10:00am to 1:00pm.

An appointment is preferred.

 

Welcome to De Búrca Rare Books

 

Stay Updated & Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive news from the Irish antiquarian book world and get updates on our latest catalogues and publications.

You have Successfully Subscribed!